Using TruView VR to Reduce Risks in Hazardous Environments
Exploring hazardous environments while minimizing risk using TruView VR
Site visits can be costly and time-consuming; TruView VR allows users to explore project sites from anywhere using a supported Windows Mixed Reality headset such as the HTC Vive or HP Reverb. Leica TruView is the industry leader for easily and intuitively sharing point cloud data, design models, mark-ups, and more. Leica TruView is the smarter way for anyone in your project ecosystem to access, view, analyse and collaborate using reality capture data.
With the release of TruView 2022.0.0, users can now explore any TruView project in VR, launched directly from the desktop application. Connect any Windows Mixed Reality-compatible headset to enter a fully immersive virtual reality experience from the comfort of your home or office.
TruView VR allows users to enter into their reality capture projects at true to life scale. Immerse yourself in your data as never before, combining both colourised point clouds and models to explore design concepts in situ, visualise a remodel, test-fit new equipment or get up close with areas of a site you can’t access in person.
Users can quickly set their scene with visibility toggles.
- FREE extension of the popular TruView desktop viewer. Users who already utilise TruView in their workflows now have a new tool at their disposal.
- Compatible with all TruView-supported data—no conversion or re-publishing required. Explore projects stored locally or in Cyclone ENTERPRISE in VR.
- Simple, intuitive navigation. Users can view, walk, fly or teleport through a project using a VR headset and controllers.
- Access the import info that your projects have to offer, such as GeoTags and models.
- Perform linear measurements in VR.
- Expanded options for collaboration. TruView VR supports multi-person viewing and exporting screenshots and videos of projects in VR using the native Windows Mixed Reality recording tools and sharing them with other stakeholders.
- Plant managers will now be able to explore a potentially hazardous site unsafe to visit in person from the safety of their office.
- Foremen can inspect remote job sites using VR while saving on travel costs.
- Construction project stakeholders can check in on progress remotely and inspect progress against a design model.
- Companies can familiarise new workers with a site before they arrive so they are comfortable on-site on their first day.
- Law-enforcement professionals can return to closed crime scenes virtually or provide access to scenes without the risk of contamination—even allowing prosecutors, defence attorneys and jurors to experience a scene for themselves.
Access information stored in GeoTags created upstream in Cyclone FIELD 360, Cyclone REGISTER 360 or desktop TruView for a VR experience integrated with all stages of the project.
We developed TruView VR to make exploring project sites more realistic and more closely simulate the experience of being there in person. Rather than viewing a scaled representation of a project, you can step into it and walk around. Look around corners and under objects while getting a true sense of the space.
When combined with Leica’s new autonomous data collection platforms such as BLK2FLY and BLKARC, TruView VR is a powerful companion to eliminate safety hazards and provide an unprecedented level of access to dangerous or difficult to access locations.
VR may become deliverable in and of itself in the near future, offering clients an engaging look into their project before its completed. To that end, Leica has included VR capabilities within its free end-user viewer rather than any of its licensed up-stream products so that customers can freely share it with their clients and stakeholders.
Intuitive navigation makes it easy for anyone to explore the immersive environment.
VR is a perfect tool for communicating with clients who are not familiar with reality capture data or even 2D architectural renderings. It reduces or even eliminates the learning curve for working with 3D data for clients. It’s as easy as point and click to move around and experience a site as if there.
We will support all newer Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headsets for the first release. Here is the WMR homepage.
Users will also need to ensure that they have Windows Mixed Reality installed as well as Steam VR.
VR can offer benefits to users working in any segment. TruView VR is a seamless extension of the viewer you already use, allowing you to quickly integrate VR into your workflow. TruView VR is intuitive and compatible with Windows Mixed Reality headsets. With TruView VR, you can also reduce costs and help save time by minimizing in-person site visits.
Download TruView 2022.0.0 to try it for yourself.
Senior Product Manager, Leica Cyclone
Reality Capture Division