Leica Geosystems offers new Utility Surveyor Course
Training class seeks to fill skills gap in the industry
(Heerbrugg, Switzerland – 20 November 2018) – Leica Geosystems, part of Hexagon, announced today the launch of a new five-day Utility Surveyor Course provided at its Detection Training Campus in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, UK.
To answer the global surge in demand for fully trained utility surveyors, the course has been developed to provide instruction on digitised utility survey workflows. The course aims to teach the most novice of students how to efficiently and accurately conduct a utility survey from initial client specification through to delivering a fully marked map detailing what lies beneath. The course is conducted through a series of classroom and onsite modules led by trainers with decades of industry experience.
“We have identified a real global need for more highly trained utility surveyors. This became apparent as part of the sales process for our electromagnetic location and ground-penetrating radar (GPR) products,“ said Katherine Broder, Geosystems’ Construction Tools president. “It’s the same all over the world - the need is there but the skillset falls short. With this new course, we can set a new global standard in utility surveyor training, ensuring the people using the equipment understand the process from start to finish.”
Increased demand for utility surveys
A growing global infrastructure needs to be constantly upgraded, repaired and maintained. The lack of highly-trained utility surveyors, however, has been highlighted by the problems faced by operatives on site. Increased sales of avoidance and mapping tools, from Electric Magnetic Locators (EMLs) to GPR in recent years, has emphasised the need for a global training standard, not only for users of the equipment but also for the people planning and carrying out the work.
The new course will use cable avoidance and tracing instruments, GPR and post-processing software to introduce students to industry solutions. Hexagon has been involved in the detection business since 2000, and cable-avoidance solutions by Leica Geosystems are used worldwide and trusted for their high quality and precision.
The Utility Surveyor Course is now open for registration. To reserve a spot, please visit https://leica-geosystems.com/services-and-support/trainings/detection-campus
Hexagon is a global leader in sensor, software and autonomous solutions. We are putting data to work to boost efficiency, productivity, and quality across industrial, manufacturing, infrastructure, safety, and mobility applications.
Our technologies are shaping urban and production ecosystems to become increasingly connected and autonomous — ensuring a scalable, sustainable future.
- Hexagon’s Agriculture division provides technologies that convert data into intelligent information that enables smart planning, efficient execution, precise machine controls and automated workflows that optimise farm operations.
- Hexagon’s Geospatial division creates solutions that visualise location intelligence, delivering a 5D smart digital reality with insight into what was, what is, what could be, what should be, and ultimately, what will be.
- Hexagon’s Geosystems division provides a comprehensive portfolio of digital solutions that capture, measure, and visualise the physical world and enable data-driven transformation across industry ecosystems.
- Hexagon’s Manufacturing Intelligence division is digitally transforming manufacturing by converging design and engineering, production and metrology solutions to enable Smart Factories.
- Hexagon’s Mining division solves surface and underground mine challenges with proven technologies for planning, operations and safety.
- Hexagon’s Positioning Intelligence division is a global technology leader, pioneering end-to-end solutions for assured positioning for land, sea, and air. Its solutions power intelligent positioning ecosystems in vital industries and safety-of-life applications, enabling the advancement of the Autonomous X (cars, UAVs, industrial vehicles, trains, vessels, and more). The division includes leading brands NovAtel, Veripos, and AutonomouStuff.
- Hexagon’s PPM division empowers its clients to transform unstructured information into a smart digital asset to visualize, build and manage structures and facilities of all complexities, ensuring safe and efficient operation throughout the entire lifecycle.
- Hexagon’s Safety & Infrastructure division provides software for smart and safe cities, improving the performance, efficiency, and resilience of vital services.
Leica Geosystems AG
Tel: +41 71 727 3534